Sunday, June 29, 2008

oooo, glassy

In my final architecture class we looked at the more modern and post-modern buildings built during the 1920s and later. We started out at 15th and Market (which back then was Broad Street train station) and walked west and north. As per usual, we didn't get far, thanks to my professor's penchant for sharing a lot of information about every building she sees. (this isn't bad, just long).

the only pictures i took were of the new comcast center and some of the surrounding areas. We did discuss the 'penn center' buildings, which have a lot of asymmetrical touches and are all skyscrapers with different tops. There were a few major architects in the 1920s and 30s that were important in Philadelphia, Louis Kahn being one of them. I can't remember the names of the other ones right now, but maybe they'll come back to me.

So here are some photos:
This is the new comcast center. its all glass and shiny and reflective and stuff. Very modern, although my teacher doesnt' like it. i think it's too much glass for her. She says she doesn't like the way it touches the ground, and there should be something between the glass and the sidewalk to slow the progress of the building. Me, I think it's fancy shmancy.




The inside is really cool. Above the elevator bank there's this huge screen, and they show random relaxing images that are crystal clear. it's AMAZING. An odd touch is that above the lobby there's this weave of poles with fake people walking on them. It's very bizarre, but interesting enough to photograph.

I am tired so the buck stops here. But overall I really enjoyed my architecture class. It was definitely worth the $95, and you get the knowledge for free!!

And without further ado....the weekend is over....

No comments: