Sunday, June 1, 2008

Let Me Introduce Myself...

First of all, I never thought i'd have a blog. Ever.
Luckily, I just finished reading this great book, Julie & Julia, in which the main character has a blog where she documents a year long cooking project. In doing so, she finds herself and her future, yada yada happy ending.

I don't think this is one of those blogs.

I am 25 years old. I recognize this is not old, per se, but it took some getting used to. I don't feel 25. I tend to make the same mistakes, have the same insecurities, go to see very similar bad movies. And yet life seems to progress around me. I'm just trying to keep up.

So let me give you some basic facts about myself:
1. I am a therapist, and was one well before I got my degree. People tend to talk me- on the street, on the train, in coffee shops. I enjoy it, I like hearing about people.
2. I have a cat, an orange persian named Gizmo. I inherited him from my father, who is now a full-fledged dog-person. I never used to like cats, but its hard not to like gizmo, as he's the cuddliest and best cat that ever existed.
3. I tend to be a loner. I prefer 'independent', but that's just a fancy word for loner. I have great friends and family, and I love spending time with them. But I tend to do a lot of things by myself, and i'm cool with it.
4. I don't have many fears. Large bugs, like say, the cockroach as large as my palm that I encountered last year, or snakes and stuff, fine. But I love heights, trying new foods, talking to strangers, and climbing on things without having a way down (hence, my profile picture). The two things i'm really afraid of are debt, and dating. But more on that later.
5. I'm blunt. I'm known for having a mouth, not in the secret-spilling kind of way, but in the 'that dress makes you look fat' variety. I've been working on tact for a while now. Jury is still out on how that's going.

There are a few things i'd like to accomplish in the next year or so, and i'm hoping this blog might help me sort through them. I'm deciding whether or not I want a doctorate degree, and whether I should move back to New York or stay rooted here in Philly. I'm trying to lose weight, 20 lbs by next May, when my beloved sister is getting married. And i'd like to date. Heck, i'd like to be in a relationship. (Well, at least be able to say that I tried)

So here I am. A work in progress. The way I see it, my life is kind of like climbing up a proverbial tree. I've grabbed onto another branch- and i'm still swinging. Welcome to my tree.

No comments: